Your customers are becoming increasingly concerned about the eco-impact of their online buying habits and that’s why I want to talk to you today about how you can ‘green up’ your delivery solutions.
Let’s get the evidence for this growing trend nailed down straight away. In a recent global survey of online consumers carried out by Metapack (2018 State Of E-commerce Delivery)
26% of the consumers interviewed stated they cared a great deal about the effect on the environment of their online purchases
47% said they were becoming increasingly more conscious, up from 47% in 2017
As a logistics professional I do worry that beauty brands aren’t doing enough to reduce the impact of their deliveries. The main focus of being ‘green’ seems to be around ingredients. When it comes to packaging and delivery I believe as an industry we have some serious work to do.
The rise of the conscientious shopper who is ethically motivated and environmentally aware means brands need to take a long hard look at exactly how green they are. Consumers are looking to engage and buy from companies who are transparent, honest and open about all aspects of their business.
So, boosting your green credentials is not only the right thing to do it can also result in increased customers and profits.
What exactly is ‘green logistics’?
Put simply and avoiding the ‘dull’ label logistics is frequently tagged with, it means any and all attempts to measure and minimise the ecological impact of your logistics activities. That’s everything from procurement, packaging, inventory management, warehousing, fulfilment, distribution, reverse logistics and disposal logistics.
What can you do to boost your green creds?
Here are just a few ideas to get you thinking about how you can green up your logistics
1. Avoid same day deliveries – there is a lot of buzz about same day deliveries particularly in large cities like London and New York. Now, they can add some serious wow factor to your customer journey, but they are the least green delivery option out there. Every time a same day delivery is requested additional vehicles are sent out on our roads in some of the already most congested and polluted environments on our planet. Having said to avoid them, there are a growing number of green same day delivery companies who use electric vehicles or bikes to make their deliveries.
2. Use your national postal service – your national postal service has vehicles out visiting most houses and businesses every day and so from a green perspective it makes sense to utilise this already existing network. Most postal services are improving their delivery solutions and options and trying to become far more customer centric. They are also making huge commitments to becoming greener themselves. For example; UK Royal Mail reduced their carbon emissions by 4.7% in 2016–17 and acquired 2,859 new vehicles, including 713 trucks and 2,146 smaller vans, which comply with the Euro 6 standard on commercial vehicle emissions; just two of a whole stack of policies and innovations they are implementing. Check out the website of your national provider to see what they are doing.
3. Audit your delivery partners – I understand that national postal services sometimes don’t provide the level of service your customers expect and need. There are times when timed and guaranteed deliveries are necessary. When you are choosing which delivery partners to work with audit their green credentials. Ask them to tell you what their environmental obligations and goals are. Do they use electric or low emission vehicles? Do they train their staff to drive in more efficient ways to help reduce carbon emissions? Do your research and make informed choices to work with companies who reflect your brands environmental commitment.
4. Reduce your packaging and make sure any packaging you do use is recycled or recyclable – we live in an age when the unboxing experience has become a beauty phenomenon and having worked in the industry for nearly 20 years I do understand the importance of the customer journey but, I truly believe that the tables will and should turn soon. Unboxing will become a beauty negative. It’s time for brands to combine wow factor and added sparkle with a commitment to the environment. As an industry we have a responsibility to push and lead this change.
5. Do all you can to limit returns – the growing ease of e-commerce reverse logistics (returns) has resulted in an increased volume of return deliveries. I am not suggesting that we don’t offer to take returns, that’s not good for business. I’m encouraging you to put some serious energy into limiting returns. There are many tech advances like live chat that mean we can interact with customers on our website, advising them and guiding them to buy the right product first time. On a more basic and less expensive level detailed product descriptions, explainer videos and testimonials all help with first time customer satisfaction.
I have provided a small selection of ways you can address the environmental impact of your logistics and become a truly green brand. All research indicates that green logistics will thankfully grow in importance so expect to see more research published and more delivery innovation in the near future.
As an industry that leads the way in the green arena and that’s packed with courageous ethical founders we are in the perfect position to influence change. Here’s to a greener, brighter future for beauty and beyond!
If you are interested in improving the delivery solutions you offer your online customers then why not join me on Tuesday 26th 2pm – 4pm for my online masterclass, Creating WOW Factor Customer Delivery Experiences.
I think you’ve guessed it by now, I’m a logistics geek! I have spent 16 years working in beauty logistics and have recently got back from the UK’s biggest and best e-commerce delivery conference. I am bursting with all the latest delivery trends you need to be aware of, industry leading services and technology that’s available to you and the wonderful suppliers who can support and guide you. I’m rolling all this knowledge up and delivering it to you in this latest workshop.
It’s going to be a pretty packed 2 hours I will be teaching you
- Delivery trends – a deep dive into the current trends shaping the e-commerce delivery experience
- Customer expectations – a detailed look, using data from a recent global survey, at exactly what customers expect and want in their delivery experience
- The HOW – an outline of exactly how you can provide your customers with the exceptional, WOW factor delivery experience they want at a price you can afford
The best part – because this is a group workshop you can reserve your place for the amazing price of just £35. £35 to totally transform your delivery experience, hijack the memories of your customers, turn them into repeat buyers and brand advocates and get a serious edge on your competitors. THAT’S VALUE!
Included in the price is your seat at the live training, access to a recording of the training and a course booklet packed with loads of info for take away.
Every attendee gets access to the recording and so even if you can’t make the live workshop you can still reserve a copy of the recording and you can email me any questions you may have after watching it.
There are 20 places available and after announcing it in Indie Beauty TV yesterday I have already sold 5. So, if you want to get involved I would recommend you grab your place today. All you need to do is CLICK HERE to go through to my sales page.
Look forward to getting into the detail with you on March 26th!
If you have enjoyed this blog I would love you to share and pin it. Social share buttons can be found at the top of the page and the image below will give you the best pinning results.
While you’re here, hanging out on my website, why not take the time to read a few more of the many blogs I’ve written. Here’s one to get you started.